No classes scheduled 10/8.
Group/Class Discussion: Review HW video response questions to Rob Jackson’s TEDxNCSSM: Fracking and the Future of Gas.
- Identify areas in the talk where Jackson is making concessions and/or counter-arguments.
- How can Jackson’s counter-arguments be challenged?
Introduction to Position Paper Assignment: Position Paper Fall2018
Group/Class Exercise: Taking a position on alternative/renewable energy options using objections, concessions, and counter-arguments.
Slide presentation: concessions_counter arguments_presentation
Respond to the following questions using the two alternative energy exerts from the presentation:
- Does the concessions make the central argument(s) stronger? How might you modify the concessions?
- Does the writer address the opposing concerns in a way that makes the audience respect their position? Is the writer objective?
- Does the writer appear to have researched the issue from multiple perspectives? How?
- Does the counter arguments debunk the opposing position? Explain.
Accessing Review Papers from CUNY’s Opposing Viewpoints database: LibraryFileAccess Instructions-3
HW for next class:
- Select your alternative energy option for Position Paper.
- Identify two “Opposing Views” articles on your alternative energy option, identify concessions/counter-arguments and biases, and then use it to form a position.